The Local Pastor Licensing School is a foundational learning experience for preparation to become an appointed Local Pastor in the United Methodist Church of Greater New Jersey. Over the course, students will engage in facilitated learning on topics such as worship, preaching, small groups, mission, evangelism, stewardship, theology, pastoral care, administration and more. A student’s preparation, attendance, classroom participation, performance and assignments are all vital in the process.
A candidate for ministry must be approved by their District Committee on Ministry or recommended by their District Superintendent to attend Local Pastor Licensing School.
Candidates for ministry who have completed seminary may be recommended to attend Local Pastors Licensing School.
The program requires both in-person and online attendance. All Sessions are necessary to attend to complete the program.
In-person dates will be held on Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. at the GNJ Mission and Resource Center 205 Jumping Brook Road, Neptune, NJ 07753
- February 3, March 2, March 16, April 20
Online ZOOM meetings will be held the following Tuesday evenings from 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- January 23, January 30, February 20, February 27, March 12, March 19, April 9, April 16
- Greater New Jersey candidates for ministry: $325
- Candidates for ministry from beyond Greater New Jersey: $600
Requirements for attending the school
- Online Registration with payment.
- Approval from one’s District Committee on Ministry or District Superintendent to attend, as noted in the registration.