The General Board of Church and Society (GBCS) announces a search and invites inquires and applications for the Communications Sr. Specialist position. GBCS seeks a highly skilled and creative professional, who will help create, design, write and manage communications that enable consistent strategic implementation of the GBCS mission that informs, motivates and trains external stakeholders on the social principles of the United Methodist Church and its shared vision of peace and justice.
GBCS is dedicated to the work of living faith, seeking justice, and pursuing peace. It is one of four international general program boards of The United Methodist Church. GBCS is called to seek the implementation of the Social Principles and other policy statements of the General Conference on Christian social concerns. Addressing more than 30 social issues on which The United Methodist Church has claimed a position, GBCS communicates with policymakers and leaders around the world with the mission of transforming the world.
The primary focus of the Communications Sr. Specialist is Digital Communications and Media Relations, but the role will also contribute to all aspects of the Communications Department, which includes events, print production, video development and issue management. The Sr. Specialist will help manage key aspects of the organizations day-to-day communications needs, while also helping shape long-term strategic goals. This is a full-time position reporting to the Director of communications.
- Manage, create, publish, and optimize high-quality, creative digital content that is accurate, accessible and engaging on GBCS website and social media channels.
- Execute email marketing (EveryAction CRM), including the calendar, promotional planning, creative design, execution and deployment of email campaigns, including fundraising, advocacy and education campaigns.
- Administer all current GBCS social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter and YouTube) and evaluate future possibilities.
- Drive a data-informed approach with key benchmarks, tracking website, social media, email and other digital communications metrics submitting weekly reports.
- Develop relationships with online influencers and communications staff at partner agencies and organizations to help amplify GBCS content.
- Develop stakeholder communication strategies and execution to include digital newsletters, webinars, and video production.
- Provide communications content and production support for Agency events.
Media Relations and Communications
- Assist in the development of talking points, press statements, op-eds, news advisories, press releases, letters to the editor, bylined articles, blog posts, media kits, and other written materials for Agency subject matter experts.
- Develop and maintain relationships with organizations and news outlets that cover the scope of interests for Church and Society across traditional and social media.
- Monitor daily news and opinion coverage to identify key opportunities for thought leadership and advocacy communications.
- Maintain a database of coverage and analytics that mention GBCS.
- Create and maintain relevant reporter contact lists and a database of interactions with reporters, editors and news influencers.
- Help prepare speeches, scripts, Board presentations, briefing documents and reports.
- Help create and manage copywriting and print production and video development for support materials.
- Work with the Director of Communications on virtual and in-person event planning and execution including agendas, briefing materials, promotional materials, preparation for staff, and event management.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism, or related field, or other bachelor’s degree with equivalent relevant work experience is required.
- 4 years experience in communications, media relations and digital media within an agency, news outlet, non-profit or corporate organization is required.
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills.
- Demonstrated verbal and presentation skills.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
- Confident and adaptable self-starter who can innovate new strategies, prioritize, and manage projects.
- Experience monitoring news coverage, writing press materials, developing earned and social media strategies, and/or pitching stories.
- Demonstrated experience responding/engaging the press
- Experience with social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, TikTok) and knowledge of how advocacy is conducted on them.
- Familiarity with Google analytics and Hootsuite analysis application.
- High attention to detail and a history of managing a high volume of work without sacrificing quality.
- Understanding of graphic design principles and experience with Canva or other social media graphics software.
- Proficiency with EveryAction or other customer relationship management systems is preferred.
- Familiarity as Administrator for website content management systems is preferred.
- Familiarity of AP Style Guide standards is preferred.
- Photography and videography skills.
- Faith Based Organization experience is preferred.
- Must be able to work in Washington, D.C. in the GBCS office and must be able to travel domestically.
- Generous health and wellness benefits.
- Generous PTO 22 vacation days!
- All federal holidays paid.
- General retirement savings plan.
- Hybrid / remote work opportunities.
Closing Date: June 17, 2022 | Click here to apply.
GBCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks and encourages applications from minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities. All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully completing background, reference, and other applicable checks.