The Board of Church and Society of the United Methodist Church of Greater New Jersey believes that vital congregations are deeply rooted in mercy and justice ministries. Christian discipleship is centered in living out the love and grace of God that we have experienced.
Funding for this grant program is generated by the local churches through Peace with Justice offerings taken on Peace with Justice Sunday. Peace with Justice Sunday is one of the official denomination-wide Special Sundays. Annual Conferences keep one half of the offering to fund local projects and the other half goes to the General Board of Church and Society’s Peace with Justice Program to fund national and global work in social action, public policy education and advocacy.
For more information on Peace with Justice Sunday, visit HERE. The total amount of grant money available varies according to the size of the offerings taken each year.
Specifically, we will consider funding programs that meet several of the following objectives:
- Serves as a mission-spirited “bright spot” for the conference.
- Develops disciples who strive to end poverty, be graceful to those at the margins, connect with people who are different from us, and magnify God’s presence in the world.
- Equips the congregation(s) with justice and mission opportunities that will inspire turnaround spiritual leaders.
- Strengthens a congregation(s) plan to increase the number of worshipers in mission to the larger community.
- Assists United Methodists in understanding and responding to violence and militarism.
- Involves United Methodists in efforts to end conflicts and violent aggression at home and around the world.
- Promotes just local, state, national and international policies and actions (governmental and non-governmental) which seek to restore communities and respond to the disproportionate effect of injustices on racial and ethnic people.
- Supports policies that promote systematic economic justice and the self-development of people.
Applications may be submitted by any group related to the Annual Conference – a local church; an agency of the conference, a district, or by two or more such groups in cooperation.
Applications are due on August 15, 2020.
Click here to download the 2020 Peace with Justice Grant Application