Message from the Conference Secretary
Dear Friends in Christ,
We are looking forward to the 2023 Annual Conference for The United Methodists of Greater New Jersey that will take place in May at the Wildwood Convention Center, Wildwood, NJ. Planning continues and we will keep you updated.
One of the important aspects of our annual conference session are the reports and legislation.
We need your support regarding legislation and reports.
Through A Journey of Hope, GNJ works to end the sin of racism, address inequities, build bridges, and facilitate understanding. Through our commitment to A Journey of Hope and conference policies, reports and legislation submissions to the annual conference will be reviewed for implicit bias by the Commission on Religion and Race (CORR) and the Committee on the Status and Role of Women (COSROW).
To assist in this process, the Conference Secretary has requested all legislation and reports be submitted by January 15, 2023.
- Jan. 15: Initial submission due via the GNJ website.
- Feb. 10: Implicit bias review conducted by CORR and COSROW, and CORR and COSROW with specific feedback returned to individual/committee/chairperson.
- Feb 15: Finalized recommendations to be re-submitted to GNJ (if applicable) by individual/committee/chairperson.
Anyone submitting a legislative recommendation is expected to attend the Annual Conference.
Recommendations need to include the following:
- Name and contact information for the person submitting the recommendation.
- Name of person who will present the recommendation.
- Indication whether the recommendation has financial impact.
- Title of the recommendation.
(Recommendations with financial implications will be given to the Conference Council on Finance and Administration for review prior to the Annual Conference (Rule VIII, 71).
The 2023 Pre-conference Workbook will be available online and mailed to all members in April 2023.
If you have questions concerning the procedures for submitting legislation and reports, please contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
May you, your families and congregations be well, embracing peace and hope during this Christmas season.
Rev. Shelley Smith, Conference Secretary
United Methodists of Great New Jersey