The position of Music Director/ Organist at St. Paul United Methodist Church is a very important ministry available in and through our church. This position is responsible for the development and promotion of the music program of the church. It is currently a part-time, support staff position with duties primarily on Wednesdays and Sundays.
The purposes of the position are to facilitate an atmosphere in which God is worshipped and glorified, and to provide direction, oversight, and coordination of musical, artistic, and technical elements of worship services.
The following is a general list of the basic duties of the Music Director.
- To promote leadership in developing and implementing the music ministries of St. Paul United Methodist Church and to actively encourage the development of spiritual, musical, artistic, and technical gifts of others.
- To coordinate the planning and implementation of a comprehensive music ministry for the congregation and community
- Work cooperatively with the pastor to plan and prepare for the traditional worship and other special services.
Job Skills & Requirements
In addition to passing a criminal background check as a condition of employment, the Music Director requirements are as follows:
- A degree or certificate in music is preferred.
- Ability to play proficiently various styles of music on organ and piano (preferably an emphasis in organ performance)
- Ability to recruit, direct, accompany and motivate a volunteer church choir.
- Ability to select both contemporary and traditional music for purchase and presentation which is consistent with the congregation’s style of worship.
- Ability to incorporate multi-media to supplement and strengthen the worship experience (i.e., YouTube, internet, technology etc.)
- Ability to work both as a team leader and a team member.
- Ability to listen and communicate with all ages.
- Knowledge of liturgical music
- Understanding of how music contributes to the flow and meaning of worship.
- Commitment to the Christian faith and a commitment to spiritual growth which will enhance the basic theological outlook of the United Methodist Church.
The Music Director is directly accountable to, supervised and guided by the church Pastor. He/she also relates to the Staff Parish Relations Committee as prescribed in the Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church.
Compensation shall be based upon experience and abilities to fulfill the functions and skills listed herein.
Interested Applicants should send resume and references to:
St. Paul United Methodist Church
Attn: Music Director Search Committee
201 Levitt Parkway
Willingboro, NJ 08046
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org