In an email to leaders of Greater New Jersey, Bishop John Schol announced the appointment of Rev. Gina Kim to serve as the Palisades District Superintendent starting July 1, 2016.
Kim has served in full-time ministry for 24 years, as a youth pastor, associate pastor and senior pastor. She is currently serving as full-time pastor at Wesley United Methodist Church in South Plainfield, a vital congregation that has grown spiritually and has realized significant growth with increases in worship attendance, professions of faith, disciples in small groups, and mission engagement under her leadership. The congregation has also faithfully paid 100 percent of its shared ministries.
Kim has completed coaching training, is actively coaching several clergy, leads a PaCE group and is a circuit elder. She has grown ministries wherever she has served. She is a Stephen Leader and anticipates graduating from the Academy for Spiritual Formation in April.
Bishop Schol introduced Rev. Kim to the Greater New Jersey Bishop’s Clergy Convocation on Jan. 26 to a rousing welcome by her peers who joined him in praying for her service in taking on this new role.
“Rev. Kim is a Christ-centered, spirit-filled believer who exemplifies many of the characteristics we look for in clergy,” Bishop Schol said.
In his announcement, Bishop Schol outlined the characteristics he and the cabinet used in evaluating candidates and appointing Kim. These include being:
- A Transformational Leader – A Spirit-led pioneer who initiates a vision of what could be, develops strategies and inspires people to work together to achieve life and world changing mission.
- Passionate – A contagious love for God and people, is excited about the mission and moves people and ideas to action.
- Open – Grounded and yet embraces new ideas and learnings. A grace filled leader that is open to and embraces people who think, look, act and live differently.
- Relational – Genuine in their relationship with God and others, seeks a team experience and connects with others through their interests and ideas.
- A Learner – Teachable and dedicated to learning and applying new ideas.
- Creative – Doesn’t let adaptive challenges stop the mission but is curious and inquisitive, takes risks and applies innovative ideas even when there is limited resources to overcome challenges.
Kim enjoys stamping, knitting and gathering with friends over good food. She is married to Chong who is the pastor at Calvary United Methodist Church in Kearny, N.J. They have a son, Mathew who is married to Ellen and they live in Duluth, Ga.
She will be replacing Rev. Wayne Plumstead, who announced his retirement in December after 43 years in ministry serving six congregations and as the District Superintendent in the Palisades District.