FUMC Westfield is a community of Jesus followers who sow seeds of grace, love, and joy within and beyond the church. This position will provide warm, engaging worship leadership that helps the congregation express their faith in music and nurtures the musical gifts of the congregation.
FUMC is seeking a strong worship leader who is proficient in piano and preferably organ. A vocalist is preferred who can lead congregational singing as well as lead an ensemble of musicians and singers. The congregation appreciates classical and sacred music as well as more contemporary styles, and we are seeking someone who can help us grow in our musical range with the goal of making disciples and growing in faith.
This position calls for an average of 10 hours a week including preparation, Sunday worship at 10 a.m., worship rehearsal when we worship in-person, production of audio/video for music when we worship virtually, and extra services as they occur throughout the church year (e.g., Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, etc.). This individual would also be called upon for funerals and weddings, as available and for additional compensation.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Worship Vision Implementation: Develops music programs that align with FUMC Westfield’s vision and goals, including using music in a way that makes new disciples and strengthens the discipleship of longtime Christians.
- Sunday Worship:
a. Works with the pastor to select music that enhances and deepens the experience of worship based on the season and theme of each service.
b. Shows precision, care, and skill in playing music.
c. During the pandemic, engages the congregation musically in worship in creative and safe ways for in-person services, and offers music virtually in creative ways for online services.
- Choir Leadership / Musician Development:
a. Builds relationships with members of the congregation and draws on and develops their musical gifts.
b. Understands needs of untrained musicians and works with them to create engagement, develop skill, and expand choirs.
- Meet with the pastor for worship planning as necessary.
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
- Respond to emails in a timely manner.
- Help with audio set up in the sanctuary and/or outside as necessary.
- Commitment to Christian Faith and Worship: Familiar with Christian hymnody and contemporary Christian music. Models active faith, willingness to grow, and desire to be and become his/her best self.
- Musical Skill: Leads worship as a pianist and preferably also organist as well as a solo singer and ensemble director, reads traditional sheet music and lead sheets.
- Technological Skill: Proficient with PowerPoint, YouTube, Zoom, and Facebook Live and is able to lead worship online from home as needed.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates ability to relate to other people, listen well, respond appropriately to feedback, and handle conflict with maturity. Engages people positively and looks for the best in them. Maintains appropriate boundaries.
- Development of Others: Shows a willingness to guide others, develop others’ musical gifts, and stretch people to grow in their skills and service.
- Self-Management Skills: Demonstrates ability to work independently, accomplish tasks on time, and be flexible when needed. Self-motivated. Aware of personality and leadership style in self and others.
Please submit your resume and a less than 5 min video highlighting your musical talent to: firstname.lastname@example.org