I am pleased to announce that the Rev. Gina Kim will be the new District Superintendent for the Palisades District starting July 1, 2016.
In selecting a new superintendent I requested clergy and laity to suggest names of potential superintendents. I received 31 names. It was a very talented group. The cabinet assisted me in evaluating each person. Through the process of prayer and evaluation, Rev. Kim’s name emerged.
Rev. Kim has completed the coaching training and has been coaching several clergy. She leads a PaCE group and is a circuit elder. She has grown ministries wherever she has served including her current appointment which has grown spiritually and in congregational vitality. Under her leadership there has been an increase in worship attendance, professions of faith, mission engagement and small group participation. The congregation has also faithfully paid 100% of their shared ministries.
Rev. Kim has served in full time ministry for 24 years, as a youth pastor, associate pastor and senior pastor. She is a Stephen Leader and anticipates graduating from the Academy for Spiritual Formation in April. She enjoys stamping, knitting and gathering with friends over good food. Rev. Kim is married to Chong who is the pastor at Calvary United Methodist Church in Kearny, NJ. They have a son, Mathew who is married to Ellen and they live in Duluth, GA.
Rev. Kim, is a Christ centered spirit filled believer who exemplifies many of the characteristics we look for in clergy.
- Transformational Leader – a Spirit-led pioneer who initiates a vision of what could be, develops strategies and inspires people to work together to achieve life and world changing mission.
- Passionate – a contagious love for God and people, is excited about the mission and moves people and ideas to action.
- Open – grounded and yet embraces new ideas and learnings. A grace filled leader that is open to and embraces people who think, look, act and live differently.
- Relational – genuine in their relationship with God and others, seeks a team experience and connects with others through their interests and ideas.
- Learner – teachable and dedicated to learning and applying new ideas.
- Creative – doesn’t let adaptive challenges stop the mission but is curious and inquisitive, takes risks and applies innovative ideas even when there is limited resources to overcome challenges.
I invite you to pray for Gina as she prepares for this new role.
Keep the faith!
John Schol, Bishop
The United Methodist Church
Greater New Jersey