United Methodist Church at Demarest, 109 Hardenburgh Ave., Demarest, NJ, is seeking a new Music Director.
The successful candidate will be someone who enjoys overseeing music ministry at UMC at Demarest, including planning, rehearsing, recruiting the choir, and providing music to the services. The successful candidate will work closely with the Senior Pastor to create an uplifting worship service, serving God and the congregation, bringing creativity and enthusiasm to worship. It is essential for the Director to participate in the church’s life, know its member beyond the choir, and possess good planning and communication skills.
- Play piano/organ and lead music at Sunday worship services and help others to do so
- Lead the choir singing the anthem at least three Sundays a month from September through June.
- Lead the rehearsal on Sunday morning (usually at 9:00 am) when the choir sings the anthem.
- Run weekday choir rehearsals (usually on Thursday evening) from September through June at least twice a month.
- Provide leadership and competence in seasonal or liturgical musical selection with planning
- Provide the music for special weekday liturgical services such as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Eve.
- Recruit new choir members and volunteers or professional musicians for weekly worship and special services
- Play piano/organ for special events such as weddings, funerals, and memorial services as requested (honorarium to be arranged)
- Maintain the music library
In addition, the candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to proficiently play various genres of music on piano and organ
- Sufficient knowledge of the UMC hymns and liturgy
- Willingness to participate in the life of the church
- Possess strong interpersonal skills, good communication, solid planning in advance, and organization skills.
- Previous experience in training personnel in choral music preferred
- Ability to sing with worship music groups a plus.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in music is required; a master’s degree is preferred.
Job Type: Part-time
Compensation: $13,000/ year (negotiable based on experience)
Two weeks paid vacation/ two sick days
Submit your resume by August 30, 2023, to Linda Faber, SPRC Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)