The ministry of music is one of the most essential elements of worship and nurture in the life of the United Methodist Church. The Director of Music Ministry appreciates the vital role of music in spiritual life and worship services. The successful candidate will have experience with a broad range of music styles, including traditional and contemporary genres. As a Christian, he/she will be able to lead others into deeper spirituality through the ministry of music. The Director of Music Ministry is responsible for planning and implementing a comprehensive program of music as a whole.
Responsibility: The Director of Music Ministry is responsible for planning and implementing a comprehensive program of music. The Director of Music Ministry works with the Pastor in the selection of music, and directs accompanists and singers in preparation in rehearsal and performance in worship. Music Ministry works in collaboration with the Pastor and Worship Committee. Competency in playing piano/ organ is required as well as creativity, self- motivation, good interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
The duties of the Director of Music Ministry include but are not limited to the following:
- Directing rehearsals and performances of Centenary’s choirs and congregation for Sunday services throughout the year, and at all other special services such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Holy Week, and Easter. Weddings and funerals are additional compensation.
- Works with Pastor and musicians to coordinate music ministry with:
- Chancel Choir
- Praise time
- Weekly Staff Meetings (online)
- Recruits new choir members within/beyond the congregation and encourages participation in the music program.
- Selects music and oversees development and maintenance of the music library. Is open and versatile in selecting music that is diverse and reflects the needs of the congregation. Monitors copyright restrictions and ensures appropriate licensing is maintained.
- Prepares annual music budget in collaboration with the Pastor and Finance Committee. Schedules accompanists, substitutes, and special performers within the constraints of music budget. Recommends compensation for the music staff with final approval of SPRC.
- Maintains an awareness of new developments in the area of church music and its application to Centenary’s music program. Seeks to foster creativity, breadth and diversity in musical styles for worship.
- Supervises paid and volunteer members of the music staff. Represents the music staff at virtual weekly church staff meetings and occasionally attends Church Council meetings. Communicatesneeds and concerns related to the music program to the SPRC, and Pastor as appropriate.Supervises guest musicians providing feedback to the Pastor and SPRC on job performance and music related duties.
- Approves the use of Sanctuary organ and piano by persons other than those regularly involved in the music ministry, in consultation with Pastor and the trustees. Oversees the maintenance and tuning of musical instruments.
- Works to enhance the music ministry of the church in the community.
- Arranges for choir director substitute in case of absence.
Compensation: The Music Director of Music Ministry is a part-time, salaried 12-15 hours per week position. Reports directly to Pastor. The position is an “at-will” position with a yearly evaluation process. Compensation will be $ 20,000 – 25,000 commensurate with experience.
Please submit resume and three references to:
Rev. Sooah Na
Centenary United Methodist Church
200 Hillside Ave.,
Metuchen, NJ 08840
Phone number: 732-548-7622