The successful candidate will be someone who enjoys overseeing music ministry at BUMC, including planning, rehearsing, recruiting and leading choral and bell choirs, a praise band, children’s choirs and dance group in both traditional and contemporary worship music style. The successful candidate will work closely with the Senior Pastor to create professional and uplifting worship services, serving God and the congregation, bringing creativity and enthusiasm to worship with those who hold a position of responsibility within our church community. It is essential for the Director to become an integral part of our church community and understand and live in our mission statement. The Director of Music will work up to 20 hours per week in the usual church season with additional work required during liturgical holidays of Advent, Christmas, Holy Week and Easter.
In addition, the candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to proficiently play various genres of music on piano and electronic keyboard.
- Be competent at organ or be willing to become skilled to make use of the church organ.
- Have previous experience in training personnel in choral music and performance
- Possess strong interpersonal skills, good communication and team working skills, solid planning and organization skills.
- Ability to sing with worship music groups a plus.
The Director of Music Ministries will oversee the music life of BUMC and as such will:
- Play and lead music at weekly worship services and help others to do so
- Contribute to the selection of music for the services with the senior pastor
- Run weekly choir rehearsals and other rehearsals as needed
- Worship closely with volunteer musicians and singers
- Provide leadership and competence in seasonal or liturgical musical selection with forward planning for the seasons ahead for each choir
- Develop the participation of the congregation and community in music worship
- Sufficiently recruit new volunteers and musicians for weekly worship and special services and solos, or accompaniments
- Maintain the music library
- Lead the Chancel choir on a Thursday evening and briefly before the Sunday morning service
- Coordinate music and singing for the Children’s choir and Praise band on a Tuesday evening and before the Sunday morning service
- Attend staff meetings held twice a month, and one day staff retreat twice a year
- Attend worship planning meetings held in once a quarter
- Be flexible and available to perform and possibly sing appropriate music on piano, keyboard or organ for weddings and funerals.
A bachelor’s degree of music is required; a master’s degree in choral conducting is preferred.
Job Type: Part-time
Starting Salary: $28-30K
Submit your resume by March 31, 2023
Director of Music Ministries
Bridgewater United Methodist Church
Bridgewater, NJ 08807