This candidate will be responsible for planning, promoting, and enhancing the spiritual atmosphere of all worship celebrations through the ministry of music. The director will develop, supervise, and direct the choir and musical ministry of the church, helping to meet the church’s vision and fulfill its mission. The Director of Music is directly supervised by the pastor and works with the staff, musicians, and volunteers using a team approach.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and list of three references. Your resume should include a list of instrumental and vocal skills. Materials should be submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org This position is available immediately.
- Part-time position of 12-15 hours a week
- Play organ/piano and direct the choir and other music ensembles at Sunday morning rehearsals and services.
Details about organ:
- M.P. Moller 1968 Opus 10380. Unaltered.
- Two manuals and pedals. Standard 61 / 32 compass.
- Ten ranks.
- Nine registers.
- Twenty six stops.
- Great is unenclosed. The Swell is an Artiste model with three ranks.
- The organ is in good shape and regularly maintained.
- Play and direct for all Sundays of the Liturgical Year and Ordinary Time including as many as two services on Christmas Eve; one service Ash Wednesday; one service on Holy Thursday; one service on Good Friday; and up to two services on Easter.
- Conduct weekly choir rehearsals on an agreed-upon schedule. Director will communicate in advance with choir members and church office any changes to the practice schedule and selected music.
- Work in close collaboration with the Pastor, Staff Parish Relations Committee(SPRC), and church leaders. Participate in monthly Worship Committee meetings.
- Promote the choir. Ability to recruit, train and inspire church members of all ages to participate in the music ministry.
- Rehearse with instrumentalists and vocalists as needed.
- Embrace and support the inclusion of various musical styles in the worship experience.
- Provide music for weddings and funerals, based on need and availability. Any fees associated with weddings and funerals conducted at the church will be collected by the church and forwarded to the Music Director.
- The Music Director has a budget to purchase music books/scores for choir or congregational use; for repair and maintenance of the piano and organ in the sanctuary and the choir room; other needed items for ministry; and (with the approval from the church) for occasional engagement of professional instrumentalists or vocalists. Maintenance and repair needs of church instruments must be submitted through the church office.
Compensation: $18,000-$22,000 (annually). Salary negotiable based on experience.
Vacation: Two weeks paid vacation is included the first year. The candidate is eligible to take vacation on an accrued basis after completing the first six months of employment.
First UMC of Freehold, NJ is exempt from providing disability insurance and or unemployment insurance. Worker’s Compensation is provided as required by law. Per State law, paid sick leave is also provided. One hour of paid sick leave is earned for every 30 hours worked up to 40 hours of paid sick time in a year.
A condition of employment at FUMC is to be vaccinated or tested weekly for COVID-19.