If you are concerned with the safety and security of your elderly loved one, you might want to consider independent living. Offered within a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC), independent living, is ideal for individuals who do not require assistance, but desire the peace-of-mind of having access to assistance if needed. Here are five key benefits of independent living:
- Senior-friendly housing. With high-quality, apartment homes, seniors are able to downscale from costly, high-maintenance houses with ease. A range of home models are designed for easy navigation (whether a resident is mobile, using a walker or a wheelchair), compact and free of potential hazards.
- Social Interaction. Independent living encourages residents to participate in community life. With year-round events, movie nights, clubs, fitness center, beauty salon, and even wellness centers just steps away, residents can easily reach out and connect with the rest of the community and their peers.
- Safety and Security. In the basic sense this means protecting access to the community and its residents. It also means insuring that residents’ needs are met and emergencies are discovered and responded to in a timely fashion. Some of the strategies include taking care of all maintenance, offering 24-hour safety and security systems, and having a skilled nurse on duty 24/7.
- Free Time. The most common reason that seniors transition from their own homes to independent living is the freedom gained. Downsizing from a large home to an apartment home minimizes personal chores, errands and time spent on home maintenance. Residents find that independent living gives them the time to pursue other long-delayed interests and hobbies.
- Tailored services help ensure that each resident gets only the help and support they require without infringing on dignity or privacy. Additional amenities include laundry, housekeeping and scheduled transportation, as well access to other services when required.
United Methodist Communities at Bristol Glen, a CCRC located in Newton, New Jersey, seeks to maintain the quality of life and independence of its residents. Ample community life offerings encourage them to get involved at a level suited to their interests and abilities. To find out more about senior living at United Methodist Communities at Bristol Glen call 973-300-5788 or visit BristolGlen.UMCommunities.org.