United Methodist Women is seeking a dynamic Corporate Secretary who will be an active member of the Senior Leadership Team, nominated by the General Secretary/CEO for election by the Board of Directors. The successful and highly detail-oriented candidate will serve under general direction from the General Secretary/CEO and support the Treasurer regarding execution of legal matters as needed. The Corporate Secretary is responsible for the execution of board meetings and acts as a recording secretary to the Board of Directors, UMW Senior Leadership Team and is responsible for performing a wide variety of responsible, confidential and complex duties as outlined in the organization’s Bylaws and related to the Office of the General Secretary.
United Methodist Women – National Organization is the policy-making body that manages and oversees the programs and projects of United Methodist Women (UMW). We accomplish this by equipping women and girls around the world to be leaders in communities, agencies, workplaces, governments and churches and to advocate for the oppressed and dispossessed with special attention to the needs of women and children. UMW builds supportive communities among women; engages in activities that foster growth in the Christian faith, mission education, and Christian social involvement, while working for justice through compassionate service and advocacy to change unfair policies and systems while providing educational experiences that lead to personal change in order to transform the world.
About the Office of the General Secretary:
The Office of the General Secretary brings together the General Secretary/CEO, along with staff members in the areas of Fund Development and Corporate Secretary. The Office communicates around the organizational vision and direction, develops and maintains connection to members and the larger church, facilitates the maintenance of contact database and archives of historical data, and program and production management for Assembly and smaller conference events and helps to improve the information flow between members and the national office.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of five years administrative/secretarial experience at an executive administrative level or 9(+) years of executive administrative experience; preferably in a religious nonprofit or community-based organization.
- Being a member of the United Methodist Church is required, familiarity and general knowledge of polity of the United Methodist Church is a must.
- Proven ability to perform research, create reports and presentations on confidential matters and able to discreetly handle sensitive matters.
- Able to effectively communicate with key constituencies and implement sound administrative strategies and tactics that promote excellence at the General Secretary/CEO’s direction.
- Demonstrated computer literacy and proficiency, including development of documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and operating within a database (Microsoft Office – MS Word, MS Excel and Access) and the willingness to learn new software applications.
- Excellent office management and interpersonal skills.
- Able to exercise discretion, initiative, and independent judgment in making sound decisions and in developing solutions to problems.
- Proven ability to perform well within a multiple-deadline driven environment with familiarity with social media platforms.
- Must have the ability to compose, write quickly, accurately and intelligently in English with the ability to work independently with a high attention to detail, including excellent proofing and editing skill.
- Commissioned Notary Public is a plus for this position.
- Must be forward-thinking with the ability to assess risk, anticipate issues of concern and the ability to pre-troubleshoot potential obstacles.
- Confidence, patience, a desire to help others and a sense of humor is a must.
Send resume/cover letter to email@example.com with the words CORPORATE SECRETARY in the subject line.