The Worship Arts Director will oversee the music and arts program of the Arch Street United Methodist Church which is a Justice-Seeking and Reconciling (LGBTQIA+ affirming) Congregation. The director will provide direction, lead and mentor those who serve the congregation through the ministry of the arts. The director is part of the ministry team, works closely with the worship planning team and reports directly to the pastor. The director coordinates music and other artful aspects of worship for up to three worship services on Sunday. The director combines leadership and expertise in producing virtual as well as in-person worship experiences.
Abilities and Skills:
• The successful candidate will be an accomplished musician and choral conductor.
• Have strong knowledge of the liturgical church year.
• Oversee, train and support volunteers.
• While a formal background in theology is not required, the worship and arts director should
understand how music can enhance worship in the United Methodist Church and demonstrate
familiarity with Christian doctrine and best practices.
• Develop relationships and collaborate with local artists
• Incorporate and leverage the arts in support of the congregation’s justice seeking
A well-developed creative sensibility and passion – The Director will oversee and incorporate works of art into worship that allows for creative expression and encourages member engagement in worship.
May include visual arts (e.g. painting, drawing, photography) tactile arts (sculpting, architecture, choreography), performance arts (e.g. acting, dancing, singing and performing on musical instruments) and language arts (e.g. poetry, story-telling through words, writing scripts for plays, musical composition),
1. Graduate degree in choral conducting (or equivalent) is preferred
2. Experience directing choirs and leading worship through music
3. Knowledge of religious, classical, contemporary, choral, organ, and piano repertory
4. Knowledge, proficiency and performance ability with pipe organ
5. Piano accompaniment skill and experience
6. Eclectic interest in music as ministry, appreciation of musicians, and ability to train volunteers
7. Technology skills to assist with online worship.
1. Administration of ASUMC music program, including oversight of ASUMC music library
2. Play for or directing music for worship services, special services and community events
3. Plan worship with pastoral staff, committees, selecting service music and hymns to enhance liturgy
4. Oversee the music budget including ordering music, music supplies, instrumental repair, tuning, etc.
5. Rehearse and direct the voice choir(s) and/or directing music staff to prepare for worship services
6. Engage the community to be drawn into the church through its creative arts program
7. Hire accompanists or music groups not under personal direction
8. Hire substitutes for all absences, including vacations and illnesses
9. Plan music programs beyond regularly scheduled Sunday morning worship
10. Have right of first refusal for all weddings and funeral/memorial services requiring organ music.
11. Collaborate with ministry staff to develop relationships with area arts programs.
12. Work with other agencies (e.g. colleges, performing arts, musicians, ASUMC members) involved with
or interested in integrating various art forms in worship services.
13. The director leads the choir, conduct instrumental ensembles, provide suitable keyboard and organ
accompaniment, supervise other music staff, foster congregational support of the music program
and respond to community needs through concerts and/or other music programming
This part-time, $20,000 annual salaried position will require approximately 12 to 15 hours per week.
To apply: Submit resume, cover letter, and a 200-word “vision of worship arts.” Include contact information for three professional references – references will NOT be contacted without candidate prior knowledge and approval. Electronic applications are preferred (.doc or .pdf formats). Please forward via e-mail by August 31, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org. SUBJECT LINE: Worship and Arts Director Search Committee
Arch Street United Methodist Church (ASUMC) is a reconciling, spirit-filled community in the heart of Center City Philadelphia, PA. The church’s Standbridge pipe organ was built in 1870-71 and boasts 52 registers and 2,322 pipes.