The Office Manager provides administrative support for the pastors, staff and lay leaders of the church. This staff member interfaces with church members, non-member attendees and the public to provide information on the church and its programs and help people make connections to other leaders for follow up. The office manager facilitates communication and coordination among internal and external groups using the church building. He or she coordinates volunteers to perform various functions, especially office-related and worship-related tasks. The office manager provides a caring and welcoming presence in the office for families in need of pastoral support and prayer.
The position is ideally filled by a person with knowledge of a church’s operations and who has a heart for the church and its mission.
Summary of Qualifications
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Proficiency with database programs (current systems Quikbooks and Servant Keeper)
- Proficiency with PDF management programs
- Proficiency with general office equipment (copying, scanning, phones, etc.)
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal
- Minimum Associate degree
Minimum of 3 years of experience working in an office environment including interface with the public, some bookkeeping experience and understanding of the operations of a church.
Weekly Financial Responsibilities
- Schedule volunteers to be tellers each Sunday, to count the funds received during worship, making sure that two people are involved each week
- Record all incoming funds from various sources, i.e. electronic giving, plate offering, special gifts, etc. into Servant Keeper system a. Record by source and by category b. Report to finance committee by the process they dictate (cc: Lead Pastor)
- Deposit collected funds into the bank on Sundays (if by teller) or Mondays
- Organize payables and prepare checks for signing 5. Create reports from Quickbooks and/or Servant Keeper monthly or as needed
Annual Financial Responsibilities
- Prepare financial records and support for an annual audit and financial reports.
- Help plan and implement stewardship campaign.
- Compile annual charge conference reports.
Office Managerial Responsibilities:
- Maintain church calendar for Grace Notes newsletter and bulletin, organizing and supporting groups in the church so that meetings, events and activities run smoothly, including coordination with vendors working on property.
- Communicate expected weekly hours to Lead Pastor via Cozi on-line calendar.
- Engage in conference correspondence.
- Format/print original copy of weekly and special service bulletins.
- Meet with Lead Pastor at least weekly.
- Update events table as needed.
- Coordinate and manage office volunteers, assigning tasks as needed Note: if no volunteers are available, confer with Lead Pastor by Wednesday for prioritization of work to be done.
Other tasks assigned and prioritized by Lead Pastor
- Monitor and order office and worship supplies
- Prepare monthly newsletter for printing
Core Competencies Required
- Attention to Detail: Accurately prepares documents & reports; looks ahead for calendar conflicts; proofreads work; follows up on questions & requests
- Compassion, Care and Hospitality: Warmly welcomes those who call on the phone or visit the office; is a caring and empathetic listener; affirms that all people are accepted and included regardless of age, background, orientation, and physical and/or intellectual ability
- Strong Communications and Interpersonal Skills: Ability to write and verbalize clearly; works well with people; establishes good working relationships; puts goals of the church and team first; exhibits flexibility; provides timely follow up
- Self-direction and Time Management Skills: Anticipates and meets deadlines; manages weekly/monthly/annual cycle of work; creates space to work on longer-term goals; identifies opportunities to improve processes; minimizes idle time
- Commitment to Confidentiality: Understands the sensitivity of the position, including both pastoral needs and access to giving records
- Possess a Safety/Security Mindset: Ensures doors are locked at appropriate times; is mindful when outside groups are using the building; promptly reports when something seems out of the ordinary; keeps careful records of keys, fobs, etc. that have been loaned out
Office Hours are Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Hours per Week: 20 hours within above timeframe
Reports To: Lead Pastor
Vacation: 1 week paid vacation after 6 months service (probationary period); 2 weeks paid vacation after 1 full year of service; 3 weeks paid vacation after 4 years of service; 4 weeks paid vacation after 10 years of service.
Salary: $16,500 annually, paid semi-monthly
Contact: Rev. Scott Bostwick Grace UMC 201.891.595 ext 11