Title: Camp Program Director
Band Description: Specialist
Supervisor: Executive Director of Next Generation Ministries
GNJ and its Mission Partner employees through their work help fulfill our mission: recruit and develop transformational leaders to make disciples and grow vital congregations to transform the world.
Next Generation Ministries value as an organization and in its employees
- innovation and risk taking
- excellence in its ministry and service
- compassionate and just service
Next Generation Ministries view all employees as leaders who are critical to the mission, capable of growth and valued.
The Next Generation Ministries Camp Program Director serves as the leader of Next Gen’s summer camp ministries, leading summer camp ministry staff and volunteers to be increasingly effective in providing a world-class camp experience, aligned with Next Generation Ministries’ mission and values. The Camp Program Director brings energy, ministry vision, inspiring leaders, and the ability to design and implement summer enriching summer camp programming.
- Inspire and lead camping staff and volunteers with a unified vision, in a way consistent with the vision and values of Next Generation Ministries, so that staff and volunteers are fully equipped and supported in their calling to summer camp ministry.
- Develop innovative summer camp programing that creates fun, aids child development, grows faith, and inspires missional engagement with the church and the world so that campers leave camp better than how they came and are excited to return to camp year after year.
- Create leadership opportunities and programs for campers and young adults and provide impactful mentorship so that Next Gen summer camps regularly build and develop young leaders
- Ensure the implementation of summer camp programs adhere to the guidelines of the American Camping Association and the summer camp statutes of New Jersey so that summer camp is done with excellence and provides a safe, enriching environment for all.
- Develop, regularly update, and ensure implementation of written policies and procedures for all areas of summer camp, including but not limited to safety, training, discipline, and emergencies so that staff and volunteers are prepared to deal with different scenarios with a non-anxious presence.
- Manage the recruiting, hiring, and training of contract and program staff so that summer camp can function efficiently and with excellence.
- Provide leaders, parents, youth, congregations, GNJ mission partners, conference staff, and the annual conference with magnetic invitations to enjoy the benefits or invest in camp at Pinelands so that camp registration and fundraising goals are met.
- Participate in Next Gen Staff meetings
- Support Next Gen programming as needed, representing summer camp ministries
- Committed to continuously grow in intercultural competence
- Build and maintain relationships that are rooted in honesty, integrity and honor confidentiality
- Work cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions.
- Communicate clearly and accurately, in writing and orally, with unifying messages that motivates people to action
- Attend to details and deadlines
- Strategic thinking and ability to effectively move thinking to plans, plans to action and action to results
- A vision for camp programming and the ability to inspire others through the vision
- Comfortable and confident interacting with diverse groups of youth, young adults, parents, clergy and laity
- Lead with a non-anxious presence in the midst of disruptions and unexpected occurrences
- Ability to manage a team of gifted camp staff and volunteers
- Older than 21 years old
- Must have at least 9 months experience in a youth ministry program and experience working with students of varied ages
- Five or more years in a camp/conference or similar work environment
- Proven experience in management and marketing
- Experience working with a variety of cultures
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
- Camp Leadership Certification preferred
The position requires some travel within the Greater New Jersey region. The Next Generation Camp Program Director works from the camp offices located at the Pinelands Center in Browns Mills, New Jersey.