Title: Assistant Camp Director
Supervisor: Camp Program Director
GNJ volunteers through their work help fulfill our mission: recruit and develop transformational leaders to make disciples and grow vital congregations to transform the world.
GNJ values as an organization and in its volunteers through:
- innovation and risk taking
- excellence in its ministry and service
- compassionate and just service
United Methodists in Greater New Jersey view all volunteers as leaders who are critical to the mission, capable of growth and valued.
The Next Generation Ministries Assistant Camp Director assists the Camp Program Director in providing a world-class camp and retreat experience, aligned with the Next Generation Ministries strategic plan. The Assistant Camp Director ensures camp is on schedule and prepared for all activities.
- Serve as first point of contact for all questions or decisions regarding the camp program so that all summer camp staff have clarity on the content and expectations of the summer camp program
- Ensure all program leaders are equipped to lead their activity before the activity is scheduled so that there are no unnecessary delays in the camp schedule and that program leaders can lead confidently
- Confidently lead program leaders into backup plans for programming when circumstances delay or hinder original programming so that the camp is experienced as seamless and enjoyable
- Assist Camp Director with projects and activities as needed to ensure the success of the summer camp so that no critical tasks or decisions get delayed and hinder the summer camp experience
- Serve as a participant for projects as assigned
- Committed to continuously grow in intercultural competence
- Build and maintain relationships that are rooted in honesty, integrity and honor confidentiality
- Work cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions
- Communicate clearly and accurately, in writing and orally, with unifying messages that motivates people to action
- Attend to details and deadlines
- Adapt to an ever changing work environment so that tasks are carried out seamlessly
- A vision for camp and retreat programming and the ability to inspire others through the vision
- Comfortable and confident interacting with diverse groups of youth, young adults, parents, clergy and laity
- Three or more years’ experience in a camp or similar work environment
- Youth ministry experience and experience working with students of varied ages
- Experience working with a variety of cultures
- High school degree with some college or related experience preferred
Click here to apply.