Reports to: Executive Director & Managing Counsel
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Hours: Part Time 20-30 Hours Per Week (until July 1, 2020), Full Time 40 Hours Per Week (after July 1, 2020) Some evenings and weekend events may be required
Justice For Our Neighbors of the Delaware Valley (JFON-DV) provides immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and refugees in Southeast Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey, and Peninsula Delaware, especially those who are most vulnerable, rural farmworkers. It was founded in 2019 to develop a practical response to the legal challenges immigrants face in the U.S. As a community-based 501(c)(3) organization (pending) located in Philadelphia, PA, JFON-DV expects to provide low-cost and no-cost immigration legal services to hundreds of low-income immigrants and refugees of all faiths and nationalities in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Through direct services and collaborative strategies, JFON-DV will empower immigrants to build their own capacity and resources to become more self-sufficient, stable, and independent. In addition to direct legal services, JFON-DV educates community leaders, organizations, and potential clients through presentations about immigration law and policies.
JFON-DV is an equal opportunity employer. JFON-DV does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
JFON-DV seeks a part-time to full-time Justice and Advocacy fellow to grow our advocacy efforts and increase community participation around immigration issues. This person will assist in developing and implementing a formal strategy to advocate for immigration policy reforms and systems changes that will benefit JFON-DV clients and our community at-large. The fellow will also employ practices and outreach efforts that increase knowledge and participation around immigration reform issues. This is a one-year secured position with the possibility to extend.
- Serve as leader in establishing and implementing advocacy strategy to address issues challenging the immigrant community at the federal, state and local levels.
- Coordinate all JFON-DV outreach events and partnership opportunities.
- Give presentations regarding immigration issues and JFON-DV services to Spanish and English-speaking audiences.
- Assist in staffing local outreach events and serve as the JFON-DV representative at partnership and coalition meetings.
- Identify and implement ways in which to get former clients and volunteers involved in local, state and national immigration advocacy.
Coordinate efforts at increasing racial equity and greater representation within the organization itself.
- Create a client/volunteer speaker’s bureau to give voice to immigration reform issues, with an emphasis on empowering immigrants and first-generation youth through training and support.
Facilitate advocacy engagement through op-eds, social media, forums, demonstrations, conferences and lobbying days.
- Develop and implement a plan to engage more immigrants and minority youth in the work of JFON-DV through volunteer opportunities and internships in order to increase representation in the legal field.
- Other Duties as Assigned.
- Bilingual. Fluent in English and Spanish.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Previous administrative assistant or legal assistant experience preferred.
- Ability to work sensitively with colleagues and clients having diverse personalities, lifestyles, cultures, faiths, and backgrounds.
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality and communicate with professionalism and courtesy.
- Ability to take initiative, multi-task, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
- Must be detailed oriented and possess superb organizational skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software package such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher.
- Ability to learn legal case management software.
Skills Needed To Perform The Job:
- Self-sufficiency and willingness to take initiative.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent organizational and communications skills (both oral and written)
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Attention to detail, precision, accuracy.
- Professional demeanor.
- Enthusiasm and dependability.
- Strong community connections in PA, NJ and/or DE and willingness to build new relationships.
- Competency with technology.
- Ability to flourish in a challenging, but community-driven, environment.
- Flexibility, creativity, enthusiasm, and a sense of humor.
To Apply, please contact Mark Salvacion.