Reports to: Director of Music Ministries
Status: Part Time (7 hours/week)
The Gospel Choir Director is responsible for selecting music and rehearsing the choir to direct and provide gospel music during worship services on the third Sunday of every month and during special services. S/he shall work under the direction of, and be responsible to, the Director of Music Ministries.
- Authentic relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
- Ability to shepherd volunteer musicians into Christian life.
- Love and respect for all people.
- Team player and servant spirit.
- Attested musical skills and competence required to perform gospel music.
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and motivate musicians.
- Minimum three years’ experience in church related setting.
- Degree in music preferred.
- Select, prepare, and provide appropriate gospel music for the third Sunday of each month (two songs during the traditional 10:30am service).
- Lead the choir in special services and/or programs, such as Advent Lessons & Carols, Christmas Gala, Christmas Eve, Spring Music Fundraiser, etc.
- Mentor and develop the spiritual and musical growth of gospel choir singers.
- Recruit members of all ages and all backgrounds for the gospel choir.
- Plan, schedule, and conduct rehearsals.
- Contact the Director of Music Ministries in the event of an unexpected absence.
- Maintain library of sheet music and abide by legal licensing requirements.
- Communicate with church office with song selections a week prior to performing Sunday.
- Confer with the Pastor and Director of Music Ministries on a regular basis to integrate the gospel program in planning worship services.
- Attend monthly staff meetings. (early morning 1st Wednesday of the month)
- Report monthly to the Director of Music Ministries.
Salary and Benefits
- This position is part-time (7 hours per week).
- The Director will be paid bi-monthly on the 15th and 30th of the month.
Vacation and Leave
- Vacation and sick leave as per Wesley Church Policy Handbook.
Find out more about Wesley UMC here