Title: Director of Leadership Academy Preaching Institute
Classification: Consultant (Part-Time, 20 hours/week, 1-4 Years)
Supervisor: Director of Connectional Ministries
EPA & GNJ employees through their work help fulfill our mission: recruit and develop transformational leaders to make disciples and grow vital congregations to transform the world.
EPA & GNJ values as an organization and in its employees
- innovation and risk taking
- excellence in its ministry and service
- compassionate and just service
United Methodists of Eastern Pennsylvania and Greater New Jersey view all employees as leaders who are critical to the mission, capable of growth and valued.
The Leadership Academy Preaching Institute (LAPI)
LAPI is a hybrid continuing education program with tracks and modules designed to empower ordained clergy, local pastors, lay preachers, and congregational leaders to cultivate compelling preaching that leads to congregational vitality. EPA&GNJ defines a Vital Congregation as one which cultivates a deeper relationship with God and meet people’s deepest need through growth in five areas of ministry: worship participation, small group participation, engagement in hands-on mission, new professions and reaffirmations of faith, and generous missional giving.
The Preaching Institute will offer (1) a hybrid 10-month intensive certificate program through which preachers chosen as LAPI Fellows will focus on honing their craft alongside exceptional preachers, instructors, and intergenerational cohorts, (2) congregational coaching for the development of collaborative preaching practices and effective feedback loops for preachers; and (3) short-term online courses for both lay listeners and preachers that will empower the cultivation of contextual practices of proclamation and holy listening.
Director will manage overall certificate program design and execution, including in-person events, cohort structure, hybrid courses, and training for clergy coaches. To these ends, they will work in cooperation with existing implicated conference staff and select representative of boards and agencies from EPA&GNJ, as well as select consultants in the areas of program evaluation/assessment and online course design.
- Lead and foster a collaborative and positive work environment with a team of instructors, consultants, and administrative staff providing guidance and support.
- Lead and collaborate with the institute’s leadership to design, update, and implement preaching courses and training programs.
- Ensure that the curriculum remains relevant and aligned with the Conferences’ mission and goals.
- Oversee the scheduling and coordination of courses, workshops, and events.
- Conduct evaluations and assessments to measure the progress of effectiveness of the programs.
- Manage the institute’s budget effectively.
- Collaborate with communications team to promote the institute’s program and to expand the institute’s reach.
- Provide quarterly reports of grant progress.
- Committed to continuously grow in intercultural competence.
- Build and maintain relationships that are rooted in honesty, integrity and honor confidentiality.
- Work cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions.
- Communicate clearly and accurately, in writing and orally, with unifying messages that motivates people to action.
- Attention to details and deadlines.
- Strategic thinking and ability to effectively move thinking to plans, plans to action and action to results.
- Manage performance of team members, setting clear measurable goals
- Five or more years of effective leadership in teaching, coaching, or leading in preaching.
- Leadership experience in an educational, academic, or annual conference setting.
- Familiarity with adult learning principles and curriculum development.
- Master of Divinity Degree, preferred.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent experience in any of the areas of theology, organizational leadership, business administration, education, social services, human resources or other church, human and organizational areas.
Travel within EPA&GNJ will be necessary for LAPI cohorts. Limited travel outside of EPA& GNJ for retreats.
Please submit resumes to Jay Kim, Director, EPA & GNJ Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org