Title: Director of Connectional Ministries Classification
Band: 1, Exempt
Supervisor: Resident Bishop
GNJ employees through their work help fulfill our mission: recruit and develop transformational leaders to make disciples and grow vital congregations to transform the world.
GNJ values as an organization and in its employees
- innovation and risk taking
- excellence in its ministry and service
- compassionate and just service
United Methodists of Greater New Jersey view all employees as leaders who are critical to the mission, capable of growth and valued.
The Director of Connectional Ministries (DCM) leads the GNJ congregational and leadership development ministry to recruit and equip transformational leaders to make disciples and grow vital congregations for the transformation of the world. The DCM, in collaboration with the bishop, staff and GNJ leadership oversees the development, implementation and evaluation of resources to achieve the GNJ mission and strategic ministry goals.
- Lead, organize and evaluate GNJ strategic ministry plan and staff goals so that GNJ successfully accomplishes its mission and strategic plan
- Lead and supervise the connectional ministries staff to collaborate and focus to carry out ministry that is urgent and important and done with excellence so that the connectional ministry is integrated with the superintending ministry and so that we increase the number of transformational leaders and sustainable vital congregations each year
- Lead and oversee the planning and organization of annual conference session so that it is inspirational and educational, and set objectives and appropriate business is completed effectively
- Lead, oversee and evaluate global partnerships so that leaders and congregations throughout GNJ engage in global understanding and transformational ministry
- In collaboration with the Treasurer, organize the work of the Connectional Table and agencies of GNJ so that meetings are scheduled in a coordinated matter, communication of agency work is done effectively, and ensure agencies are productive and focused on the vision, mission and goals of GNJ
- In collaboration with the Treasurer’s office, assess and analyze ministry statistics to identify and project ministry trends so that we develop strategies to address issues and grow GNJ
- General and Jurisdictional UMC work and participation in meetings as needed and appropriate
- Serve in the Staff Executive Team
- Serve as a sponsor or champion for projects as assigned
- Attend and assist in GNJ meetings and events as needed and appropriate
- Committed to continuously grow in intercultural competence
- Build and maintain relationships that are rooted in honesty, integrity and honor confidentiality
- Work cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions.
- Communicate clearly and accurately, in writing and orally, with unifying messages that motivates people to action
- Attend to details and deadlines
- Strategic thinking and ability to effectively move thinking to plans, plans to action and action to results
- Understand complex systems and organizations and lead people through change, disruption and difference
- Manage performance of team members, setting clear measurable goals
- Ten or more years of effective leadership in The United Methodist Church
- Professional/Ministry Coaching training preferred
- Master’s Degree or equivalent experience in any of the areas of theology, organizational leadership, business administration, education, social services, human resources or other church, human and organizational areas
The position requires occasional evening and regular weekend responsibilities, extensive travel within Greater New Jersey, and some travel outside the region.
The position works from the main office located in Neptune, NJ
Click here to apply.