Haddonfield United Methodist Church is a vibrant regional church drawing 450 in weekly attendance. The church has a strong legacy of ministry with children in the region and offers weekly children’s programming on Sunday morning and Wednesday evenings, as well as monthly events that welcome families with children from the area for fellowship and faith formation. The church operates the Haddonfield United Methodist Early Childhood Center (HUMECC), a private school with programming for infants/toddlers through preschool age, which provides great opportunities for connection with families with children.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
To develop and nurture children in the Christian faith and build a strong sense of community among families, increasing our outreach, hospitality and faith formation with families with children. This role will focus not only on implementing programs, but on empowering individuals to use and grow their gifts by volunteering time and resources to support children’s ministry.
The Director of Children and Family Ministries is responsible for coordinating our weekly Sunday morning Christian education program for children, including Sunday School (9:00am hour) and Kid’s Club (10:30am hour), as well coordinating regular community events for children and families, such as Vacation Bible School, Advent Workshop, Children’s Christmas Eve service, Easter egg hunt, etc. In collaboration with the Director of Youth Ministries, this role will oversee the training, clearance and compliance of volunteers with the HUMC Safe Sanctuaries policy The ideal candidate will fulfill these responsibilities through empowering laity and collaborating with our Children’s Council, as well as other groups within the church to expand and grow the participation in our programs.
- Coordinate weekly Sunday School program, including recruitment and scheduling of teachers and substitutes
- Supervise and coordinate paid childcare for Sunday morning and
Wednesday evening programs
- Select appropriate curriculum for Sunday school and VBS in collaboration
with the pastors and teachers
- Ensure compliance of child care staff, teachers, and volunteers with Safe Sanctuaries Policy
- Plan and coordinate seasonal family events, including Trunk or Treat, Advent workshop, Easter egg hunt and other offerings to connect into the greater community
- Plan, coordinate and oversee Vacation Bible School
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIRED SKILLS
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 1 year experience in teaching, children’s ministry, or program development
- Strong organization and project management skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Committed to living out Christian faith
- Committed to team work and a collaborative work environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Average Hours/Week: 20
Status: Part Time
Reports To: Rev. Chris Heckert, Senior Pastor