GNJ employees through their work help fulfill our mission: recruit and develop transformational leaders to make disciples and grow vital congregations to transform the world. GNJ values as an organization and in its employees:
- innovation and risk taking
- excellence in its ministry and service
- compassionate and just service
United Methodists of Greater New Jersey view all employees as leaders who are critical to the mission, capable of growth and valued.
Title: Chief Financial Officer / Treasurer
Band Description: Executive
Supervisor: The Bishop and the Chairperson of CFA
The Chief Financial Officer/Treasurer is the chief financial officer of GNJ and its affiliates. The responsibilities of the Conference CFO/Treasurer are outlined here in this job description and further elaborated in The Book of Discipline, ¶619. The Treasurer leads GNJ to develop financial, property and administrative best practices. The Treasurer leads the Finance, Benefits, Properties and Administration staff to provide accurate and timely analysis, reports, and recommendations to the staff executive team and agencies so that informed decisions are made to grow GNJ financial resources and develop best management practices. The following description adds and amplifies the responsibilities in the Book of Discipline but does not eliminate or alter what is outlined in the Book of Discipline.
- Lead the finance, benefits, and administration teams so that tasks are done accurately and on time and GNJ staff leaders have a clear understanding of GNJ’s financial position at all times.
- Prepare annually a financial plan so that GNJ elected and staff leaders make prudent financial decisions during each fiscal year.
- Assess and analyze financial position, practices and procedures and develop and carry out plans to improve the financial position, procedures, reporting and technology of GNJ.
- Work with and provide financial services to GNJ mission partners so that the financial health of GNJ and its mission partners continues to strengthen.
- Ensure conference property is maintained and appropriately insured so that we limit our liability and new sources of income are cultivated to grow mission and ministry.
- Review and recommend insurance programs to appropriate agencies so that GNJ receives quality service, fiscal prudence and budgetary savings.
- Oversee and ensure GNJ’s pension funding and payments through Wespath for clergy and lay staff are collected and paid on time and adequate reserves are maintained.
- Lead staff and volunteers to train congregational leadership in financial and administrative reporting so that best practices are followed, and reports are completed accurately and on time by congregations, conference agencies and mission partner partners.
- Provide financial oversight and reporting for GNJ missional partners – Next Generation Ministries, The Stewardship Foundation, The Centenary Fund, A Future With Hope and Nehemiah Properties.
- Participate in Staff Leadership Team.
- Serve as Treasurer for all Mission Partners.
- Attend GNJ meetings and events as needed and appropriate.
- Committed to continuously grow in intercultural competence.
- Build and maintain relationships that are rooted in honesty, integrity and honor confidentiality.
- Work cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions.
- Communicate clearly and accurately, in writing and orally, with unifying messages that motivates people to action.
- Attend to details and deadlines.
- Inspire and influence people to achieve challenging goals and positive results.
- Manage performance of team members, setting clear measurable goals.
- Establish and lead a team with confidence, patience, strategic thinking and planning to achieve a common goal.
- Understand complex systems and organizations and lead people through change, disruption and difference.
- Managed a $10 million or more budget for non-profit as a chief financial officer.
- Led and supervised five or more staff in a cross functional business model.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- The position requires occasional evening and regular weekend responsibilities, extensive travel within Greater New Jersey, and some travel outside the region.
- The position works from the main office located in Neptune, NJ.