Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Classification: Non-Exempt, Hourly (20 hours/week) Limited Term (24 months)
Band Description: Administrative Leader
Supervisor: Disaster Recovery Coordinator
GNJ employees through their work help fulfill our mission: recruit and develop transformational leaders to make disciples and grow vital congregations to transform the world.
GNJ values as an organization and in its employees
- innovation and risk taking
- excellence in its ministry and service
- compassionate and just service
United Methodists of Greater New Jersey view all employees as leaders who are critical to the mission, capable of growth and valued.
The Volunteer Coordinator will recruit and organize volunteers from local churches, colleges, and other organizations to support local volunteer opportunities for Ida Recovery. The Volunteer Coordinator will serve as the primary liaison with teams and non-profit builders that are leading the construction projects. The Volunteer Coordinator duties will also include tracking and reporting volunteer hours as part of the weekly and quarterly reports.
- Recruit and deploy volunteers to participate in construction jobs that are led by a non-profit construction manager.
- Encourage volunteers from registration process to final evaluation of their experience.
- Establish and maintain contact with volunteers once they have been deployed.
- Understand the process and workings of the ministry to answer any questions from the volunteers.
- Oversee volunteers, including their interaction with partner construction managers and coordinators.
- Liaise with non-profit construction managers and coordinators to deploy volunteers.
- Collect all volunteer documents, including but not limited to background checks, waivers, and medical forms.
- Maintain volunteer files, both paper and online.
- Keep record of volunteer hours and demographics, report weekly to Disaster Recovery Coordinator.
- Participate in appropriate staff and team meetings.
- Committed to continuously grow in intercultural competence.
- Build and maintain relationships that are rooted in honesty, integrity and honor confidentiality.
- Work cooperatively with others to produce innovative.
- Communicate clearly and accurately, in writing and orally, with unifying messages that motivates people to action.
- Attend to details and deadlines.
- Strategic thinking and ability to effectively move thinking to plans, plans to action, and action to results.
- Develop leadership in others.
- Competent and skilled in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to work without close supervision on assigned duties and be willing to seek and accept supervision as needed.
- A positive attitude and willingness to equip and encourage co-workers and volunteers.
- Good organizational skills.
- Experience with working with volunteers.
- Excellent people skills – especially patience and understanding of volunteer capabilities and limitations.
- Creativity and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to set priorities and exercise flexibility where necessary.
- The interpersonal skills to take and receive direction from others and supervise the work of volunteers.
- Willingness to accept other job responsibilities as needed.
Bachelor’s Degree or minimum of 3 years in related job experience is required.
The position requires evening and weekend responsibilities and travel beyond the office.
Covid-19 Precautions – We adhere to the CDC and State of New Jersey covid-19 orders and guidelines.
Click here to apply.