Please read page in its entirety in preparation for each session.
You are responsible for purchasing your own books unless otherwise noted. Books can be purchased on Cokesbury, Amazon and may be the bound or digital version.
Texts to Bring to Each Session
Pre-Work Resourcing Assignments | Session One
For those enrolled in Session One, prior to the first class:
- Purchase and read Worshiping with United Methodists Revised Edison by Hoyt L. Hickman | Click here
- Read online document, “This Holy Mystery” by Gayle Felton. | Click here
- Read online document, “By Water and the Spirit” by Gayle Felton. | Click here
Also prior to February 1, email Joanne Sullivan the below typed documents in Times New Roman, 12 pt font and double spaced. Make sure your first and last name is on each page and your pages are numbered.
- A 250-400-word biographical reflection paper that includes your strengths and growing edges in ministry.
- A 250–400-word reflection paper on a personal experience related to either baptism or communion. It could be something you experienced yourself, or something you saw, heard or felt on behalf of someone else.
Pre-Work Resourcing Assignments | Session Two
For those enrolled in Session Two, prior to class:
- Purchase and read From Pew to Pulpit: A Beginner’s Guide to Preaching, by Clifton F. Guthrie | Click here
By February 25, email Joanne Sullivan the following typed documents in Times New Roman, 12 pt font and double spaced.
- A manuscript of a 10-minute original sermon that you are prepared to preach in class based on ONE of the identified scriptures. Make sure your first and last name are on each page.
Pre-Work Resourcing Assignments | Session Three
For those enrolled in Session Three, prior to class:
- Purchase and read Ministry and Money A Practical Guide for Pastors by Janet and Phillip Jamieson | Check here
- Read A Spirituality of Fundraising by Henri Nouwen | Article will be provided to you in Session Two.
- Bring to class your church’s 2021 budget.
- Read “Congregational Care” article
Read “Right Listening” article
Bring your Book of Worship to class
After completion of session three:
- Select an obituary of someone that you do not know. Write a funeral sermon based on the obituary. Include the printed obituary and scripture before the sermon. Sermons should be double spaced in 12 point font of Times New Roman. Make sure your first and last name is on each page.
Pre-Work Resourcing Assignments | Session Four
For those enrolled in Session Four, prior to class: