Please read page in its entirety in preparation for each session.
Texts to Bring to Each Session
You may seek to borrow the below UMC texts from your church or pastor.
- The United Methodist Book of Worship | Click here
- The United Methodist Hymnal | Click here
- The Book of Discipline 2016 | Click here
By January 20, the Session 1, 2, 3, and 4 reading will be mailed to you in a binder. You may need to purchase additional books for the course.
Pre-Work Resourcing Assignments | Session Two – March 4 and 5
As you will see, several assignments will take time to complete. Please do not wait until the week before our next session to start the homework.
1. By February 25, upload your sermon to your homework folder. If you have difficulty accessing your homework folder, please email Joanne Sullivan.
- Title your document “Sermon by Your First and Last Name”
- The manuscript should be typed in Times New Roman, 12 pt font, double spaced with your name on each page.
- A manuscript of a 10-15 minute original sermon that you are prepared to preach on ZOOM in class based on ONE of the identified scriptures from the Breakthrough series Road Trip.
- Consider using the preaching feedback form to receive feedback on your sermon from someone before submission.
- Read the expectations for your preaching delivery
2. In your CLM three-ring binder of readings, read Session 3 Organization for Ministry | Sections 1 and 2, pages 1 – 54.
3. Begin Discipleship Ministries Video Resource: How to Have a Courageous Conversation: Racism | Discipleship (teachable.com) [discipleship-ministries.teachable.com]
This should be completed by the end of the course in April.
4. No need to purchase, just a suggested reference resource for learning in Session 2: Safe Sanctuaries: Reducing the Risk of Abuse in the Church for Children and Youth: Joy Thornburg Melton: 9780881775433: Amazon.com: Books [amazon.com]
Pre-Work Resourcing Assignments | Session Three – March 25 and 26
Pre-Work Resourcing Assignments | Session Four - April 29 and 30
For those enrolled in Session 4, prior to class:
By April 25th
Select an obituary of someone that you do not know. Write a funeral sermon based on the obituary. Include the printed obituary and scripture before the sermon. Sermons should be double spaced in 12-point font of Times New Roman. Make sure your first and last name is on each page. Upload your sermon to your online folder by April 25th. If you need access to the folder, please email Joanne Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Prior to April 29th
- Purchase and read Living Our Beliefs by Kenneth L. Carder found here
- Purchase and read Rueben Job’s Three Simple Rules A Wesleyan Way of Living found here
- Review the following 4 hymns found in the UMC Hymnal, and bring the hymnal to class: By Charles Wesley, “Love Divine, All Loves Excelling,” “Come, O Thou Traveler Unknown,” O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing”; By Georgia Harkness, “Hope of the World.”
- Read Module 2 The Practice of Ministry Section 3, pages 55 – 82
- For reading in Module 2 materials on this link are referenced here.
- Read Module 3 Organization for Ministry Section 2, pages 22 – 40
- Read Module 4 Connection for Ministry Sections 1, 2 and 3 pages 1 – 23
Optional Suggested Readings
- Article provided by Pamela Lightsey from I’m Black. I’m Christian. I’m Methodist., edited by Rudy Rasmus.
- United Methodist Questions, United Methodist Answers, Received Edition: Exploring Christian Faith found here.