Please read page in its entirety in preparation for each session.
Texts to Bring to Each Session
You may seek to borrow the below UMC texts from your church or pastor.
- The United Methodist Book of Worship | Click here
- The United Methodist Hymnal | Click here
- The Book of Discipline 2016 | Click here
By January 20, the Module 1, 2, 3, and 4 reading will be mailed to you in a binder. You will need to purchase two books for Session 4 in April.
Pre-Work Resourcing Assignments | Session One - February 5-6
For Session One, prior to the first class:
- Read Module 1 “Call and Covenant for Ministry”
- Read Module 2 “The Practice of Ministry” Sections 1 and 2, pages 1 – 54
- Also prior to February 1, all students should submit to Beverly Karlovich the following typed document in Times New Roman, 12pt font and double spaced
- A 250-400 word biographical reflection paper that includes your strengths and growing edges in ministry.
- A 250-400 word reflection paper on a personal experience related to either baptism or communion. It could be something you experienced yourself, or something you saw, heard or felt on behalf of someone else.
Pre-Work Resourcing Assignments | Session Two - March 5-6
For Session Two, prior to class:
- Read Module 3 Organization for MinistrySections 1 and 2, pages 1 – 54
By February 25th email Beverly Karlovich the following typed documents in Times New Roman, 12 pt font and double spaced.
- A manuscript of a 10 minute original sermon, which you are prepared to preach in class based on ONE of the identified scriptures. Make sure your first and last name is on each page.
Pre-Work Resourcing Assignments | Session Three - March 26-27
For those enrolled in Session Three, prior to class:
- Read Module 2 The Practice of Ministry Section 4, pages 83 – 117.
- Ministry Safe Training (for Safe Sanctuaries)
- Read A Spirituality of Fundraising by Henri Nouwen | Article will be provided to you in Session Two.
- Bring to class your church 2021 church budget.
After the completion of Session Three:
- Select an obituary of someone that you do not know. Write a funeral sermon based on the obituary. Include the printed obituary and scripture before the sermon. Sermons should be double spaced in 12 point font of Times New Roman. Make sure your first and last name is on each page. Submit your sermons to Beverly Karlovich by April 8.
Pre-Work Resourcing Assignments | Session Four - April 16-17
In Session Four, prior to class:
- Purchase and read Living Our Beliefsby Kenneth L. Carder | Click here
- Purchase and read United Methodist Questions, United Methodist Answers: Exploring Christian Faith (Revised) by F. Belton Joyner, Jr. | Click here
- Complete the United Methodist 101 Handout
- Read Module 2 The Practice of MinistrySection 3, pages 55 – 82
- For reading in Module 2 materials on this link are referenced here.
- Read Module 3 Organization for Ministry Section 2, pages 22 – 40
- Read Module 4 Connection for MinistrySections 1, 2 and 3 pages 1 – 23