Tech Training this Week
Zoom 101: Screen Sharing and WhiteboardsEvent Details
Facebook Video Chat
- Click message button at the top right of the screen.
- Open a conversation with the person or people you want to video chat with.
- Click video camera in the top right corner of the chat window.
- Now you are connected as a group!
Facebook for Media Solutions and Trainings
- Download this quick resource to help get you started with Facebook Live. Download here.
- Facebook Solutions helps you reach people in many ways through Instagram, Facebook Live, Video, Messenger and more. Click here to read more on Facebook for media.
- Enroll in Blueprint eLearning courses to build a more effective Facebook presence. Click here to enroll in Facebook media trainings.
Zoom offers 40-minute meetings for free.
- The group leader begins with signing up for a free Zoom account at https://zoom.us/signup
- Go to https://zoom.us to set up a meeting, here is a video to guide you https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362413-Scheduling-meetings
- Or, you can download an app for your computer or phone. Zoom offers app instructions at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362613-How-Do-I-Host-A-Video-Meeting-
- Send your participants a link to join by computer or a number to dial into. Participants do not need to have a computer or a Zoom account in order to join the meeting. Your meeting can be a mix of people joining by computer and phone video as well as those dialing in.
When meeting virtually, you might need to change your planned curriculum. The best practice for virtual small groups is simplicity.
Zoom Video Tutorials
Zoom offers excellent video tutorials on everything from how to join a meeting, scheduling meetings, integrating with your Goggle or Outlook calendar, scheduling a webinar and much more. Click here for a list of video tutorials.
WhatsApp provides fast, simple secure, private messaging and calling for free. The messaging feature allows for groups of up to 250 persons, each. The app also allows for transfer of pictures, and pdf documents (ideal for sharing worship orders and bible studies materials). The video calling feature provides for an easy to use and secure one on one video conferencing, ideal for pastoral care. The App is free and is available for android and iPhones. There is also a PC/Mac Desktop App so that administrators and regular users can text/video conference directly from their PC/Mac.
Some possible groups for a local church, include:
- General Announcements
- Prayer Requests
- Inspirational Messages
- Team Messaging.
(i.e. GraceUMC – Announcements | GraceUMC Prayer Requests , etc.)
You can download WhatsApp to your Smart Phone through the Android or ITunes Stores, or by going to whatsapp.com/dl in your phone browser.
Visit www.whatsapp.com to download the WhatsApp Desktop Version and for video tutorials
UMCOM Resources and Tech Training
UMCOM is offering smaller, focused learning opportunities, Fast Track Learning.
The first session: Technology for Churches will be launch with the topic Zoom for Churches. It will be available on Tuesday, March 24. The other topic areas will continue to roll out as completed with all sessions available by the end of May.
- Technology for Churches
- Growing Your Church through Communication
- Sharing Your Church through Pictures
- Social Media Trends for 2020
- Exploring Interpersonal Communication